Foreclosure prevention advising through HPF:
- Acts as a liaison between you and your lender: Many financially troubled homeowners avoid collection calls and letters rather than confront the situation head on. By calling HPF’s Homeowner’s HOPE Hotline at 888-995-HOPE™, our counselors can familiarize themselves with your situation, and in turn, explain it to your lender for you and explore available and realistic options. HPF has developed strong and trusted relationships with your lender and often receives referrals from them to assist with determining options. By developing those relationships, HPF is better able to understand their process and help you navigate you through the process.
- Provides information: Information is power. Better-educated homeowners are more equipped to handle various financial situations.
- Customizes its advice to fit your unique situation: HPF counselors will ask questions about your overall financial situation and will use the information you provide to help you better stabilize your financial health.
- Offers professional guidance: Speaking to a counselor helps homeowners better understand their unique mortgage situation and gives them the insight needed to identify any underlying financial problems, turn around their current situations, and avoid future financial difficulties.
- Identifies options: We help homeowners explore all available options to avoid foreclosure, including modifications, short sales, repayment plans, and government programs.
- Connects you with additional resources: In 95% of HPF cases, homeowners are linked to other local services that can assist them.
- Creates an action plan: Many homeowners simply need help developing a plan to get them out of their financial troubles. We offer that assistance every day. Once our counselors learn pertinent income and expense information, they will create a tailored budget and plan of action called a Client Action Plan. When home retention is not an option, housing counselors will guide and educate homeowners through a short sale or deed in lieu.
- Underscores good faith: We can notify your creditors that you are seeking assistance, a clear sign to them that you are acting in good faith and are working to correct your financial situation.
- Respects you: Our counselors are here to help, not judge. We offer guidance, hope, and a sympathetic ear throughout the process.
Our housing counselors are available around the clock every day, providing counseling to homeowners like you in more than 170 languages (click here to see list).